How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolution
- January 28th, 2016
- Posted in Enforex Schools
It’s true, New Year’s Eve has come and gone, and now 2016 stretches before us. In Spain, we have all eaten the grapes, worn our red underwear and sipped cold cava. Maybe your New Year’s Eve traditions are slightly different than those followed in Spain, but we all make New Year’s resolutions. And although you may think of Spain as a world apart, guess what? The most common New Year’s resolutions are the same in Barcelona as they are in Boston! And people here follow through with just as few. Take a look at some of the most common New Year’s resolutions in Spain for 2016, and get a little inspiration to keep yours!
1. Get in shape: You may be surprised, that in a country which produces the most olive oil in the world and hardly uses a lick of butter, eats fresh produce from the vast gardens in Murcia and Valencia, and has mostly walkable urban areas, people still want to lose weight and get in shape. Maybe it’s all those polvorones and mantecados people eat at Christmas time.
2. Quit smoking: This one might look slightly different depending on where you find yourself in the world. The truth is every year less people smoke in Spain, but until just a few years ago it was still legal to smoke in bars and restaurants and it’s still much more common to see people smoking on the streets of Seville than those of San Francisco, although the trend is changing!
3. Travel more: In Europe, you are constantly surrounded by travel possibilities. And even though Spaniards have 30 calendar days off per year (required by Spanish law) plus some paid national holidays, sometimes it’s still hard for them to get away. And we bet that while they’re itching to see your country, you’re itching to see theirs! The travel bug is definitely not contained by Iberian borders!
4. Learn English: Ok, so maybe your resolution is to learn Spanish; but learning a new language can be a big challenge if you don’t have the right support or inspiration. That’s why we’re so excited that this New Year’s resolution is so common, because we’re so excited about our new courses! We can be that inspiration and support that helps people achieve their very universal new year’s resolution!
So maybe we can’t help you get in shape, or drop those bad habits, but we’re excited to inspire you to follow through with those other two… When it comes to “travel more” and “learn Spanish” we’ve got you covered! We know that no matter what the resolution, it’s important to start out right if you want to keep it! To learn a new language you’ve got to start with a program that grabs you and makes the language come alive; and we know it’s important to see the country and experience the culture that has made, transforms and brings that language to life.
So get excited! Start 2016 off with a plate of paella! Check out our 2016 course catalogue for that spark to get you going and learn a new language while you travel in 2016 and take care of two of your new year’s resolutions in one!